Next First Aid Course
19 FEB First Aid Level 1 course is now FULLDetails +
About First Aid Courses
Together with St John, we offer subsidised Level 1 First Aid and the Mental Health First Aid Courses.
Level 1 First Aid
This basic one-day first aid course is the Worksafe New Zealand minimum qualification requirement for a workplace first aider, and can also be used as a refresher for your qualified first aiders. Includes NZQA unit standards 6401 and 6402.
Content covered: Scene assessment, chest pain eg heart attack, safety, broken bones, soft tissue injury, stroke, bleeding, CPR, dislocations, burns, asthma, seizures, diabetes, how to use an AED (Defibrillator)
Mental Health First Aid
This 4-hour training course gives you the skills and knowledge to recognise and respond to someone experiencing mental health concerns. As 1 in 6 New Zealand adults experience a mental illness in their lifetime, chances are someone you know or care about may need help. How you respond may determine how quickly a friend, work colleague or loved gets the help they need.
Recognise and provide mental health first aid including how to:
- Identify the early signs of a mental health problem
- Get a basic understanding of the relationship between mental health and mental disorders
- Identify mental health crises
- Identify strategies for managing a mental health crisis safely
- Follow our ‘Listen to your HEAD’ action plan
- Identify help agencies and where to get immediate assistance
- Understand debriefing strategies for self-care